Nose work fun is perfect for any dog!
K9 Nose Work® is the new, exciting, urban dog sport that is designed to develop dogs’ natural scenting abilities by using their curiosity, desire to hunt, and their love of toys, food, and exercise. This sport teaches the dog to use her nose to find a specific scent or odor and then tell her parent that they have found it. It’s a great way for any dog to have fun, build confidence, and burn lots of mental and physical energy.
The art and practice of nose work has made basic search dog skills available to companion dogs, creating a new sport arena for dog enthusiasts. It is a class where your dog can just come in and be a dog. They are free to explore with their nose and solve problems. Not only has nose work proven to be a great activity for all types of dogs, but the founders’ techniques make this one of the most accessible activities for the widest variety of dog owners regardless of previous training experience.
K9 Nose Work® is open to dogs of all shapes and sizes, just need a nose and your parents to drive to class.
New Dawn was the site of the first ever ORT (Odor Recognition Test) in Florida!
About the Classes
- Each class level is six weeks in length and is $160
- The classes meet once a week for 60 to 90 minutes
- Each class is limited to 8 dog/handler teams or less
- Each dog will be worked individually during the class
- Dogs will need to be crated between working times (indoor climate-controlled crating area available) – If crated, dogs must be able to rest calmly in a crate. If crating in not an option, you can bring a friend or family member to hang out with your dog in between turns
Benefits of K9 Nose Work
- Dogs easily burn lots of mental and physical energy doing searches
- Searches can be done anywhere you can take your dog
- No prior training is required
- In classes, dogs work one at a time and rest crated or safely in their vehicle in between searches so reactive dogs can enjoy the activity, too
- Shy and fearful dogs build confidence and overactive dogs put their energy into fun searches
- Stronger bond between dog and handler as handler learns to observe, understand, and rely upon their dog
Who can participate?
- Any dog or puppy, even retired dogs or dogs with physical limitations (as long as they are mobile)
- Can include dogs who are fearful of, and/or reactive toward, other dogs! We create a safe environment where only one dog is working in class at a time and the others are crated out of sight in a separate area. This is great because owners of reactive dogs can also relax and enjoy the FUN!!
INTRO TO K9 NOSE WORK
SATURDAY, March 24th, 2018 | 1:00PM
NOSE WORK LEVEL II
SUNDAY, March 11TH 2018 | 1:00PM